Available: USA Nationwide
Closing Date: 12/31/2013
The contest in a nutshell:
What : ”Totem Head’s 2013 Story Contest”
Who : The contest is open to US residents under 19 years old.
Note to parents : If your child cannot write yet, you may type their words for them.
1. Ages 8 and under
2. Ages 9-10
3. Ages 11-12
4. Ages 13-15
5. Ages 16-18
6. All ages Mystery and Gothic Fiction
One winner from each category will receive the following prizes.
1. Publication on AdventureWrite.com/kids
2. $50 cash
3. Certificate of Achievement
1. Suitability for the Adventure Write Kid’s website
2. Entertainment and Creativity
3. Spelling, grammar and punctuation
1. Finish Totem Head’s Tutorial.
2. Write a story in 1500 words or less. Make your story appropriate for kids. The first sentence should start with “So there I was”.
3. Fill out a Contest Entry Form
4. Scan and email your Contest Entry Form
5. Type your story directly into the body of your email, or attach it to your email as a Microsoft Word or a .txt file. (That’s a file created using the Notepad program.)
6. Email your submission to: email@example.com
7. If you prefer, you may send your submission(s) through the mail to:
Wasilla AK 99687
2. Ask someone to proofread your story for spelling, grammar and punctuation.
3. Get feedback on your story from a friend, parent or teacher before penning your final draft.
4. If you’re emailing your entry, make sure you attach your story AND entry form before hitting send.Mystery and Gothic Fiction Guidelines : 1. Write a story in 1500 words or less. Make your story appropriate for kids. The first sentence should start with “So there I was”.
2. Stories must be tasteful and contain more mystery or suspense than gore. Think Twilight Zone, Edgar Allan Poe and Alfred Hitchcock.
3. Think of it as a mysterious adventure story, without the happy ending–an ending with a lesson instead of warm fuzzies.
4. A story will compete in either the age categories OR the gothic fiction category. Not both. Contest judges will determine in which category an entry competes.
5. If the conest judges determine that none of the entries in the gothic fiction category are suitable for The kid’s website, we will award no prize for the new category in 2013, and we will offer it once again in 2014.
Please note : All submissions become the property of Adventure Write, and we cannot return them.
Winner Notification : Adventure Write will notify winners via email and snail mail in Feb 2013. We’ll post the winning stories on AdventureWrite.com/kids no later than 28 Feb 2014.